La Chablisienne since 1923
The beginning of our story dates back to 1923 when a number of winegrowers, faced with the economic crisis of the times, grouped together under the leadership of the Abbé Balitrand to found a cooperative winery in Burgundy, in the heart of the Chablis vineyards, to sell their wines. Up to the middle of the 1950s, members brought their wines to La Chablisienne which then took charge of the blending and sold most of the production wholesale to the wine trade.
Eventually, with a desire to forge on and create its own style, La Chablisienne decided to take in the harvest directly in the form of musts, ensuring that the winery had full control over vinification. This policy has remained a defining feature of La Chablisienne to this day. The winegrowers and technical staff, working together in ongoing exchange, refine the links between the quality of the musts and the climats, or vineyard plots, establishing guidelines for future vineyards as well as for maturing and ageing the wines.
La Chablisienne, still imbued with that pioneering drive, continues to meet the wide-ranging challenges in the vineyards, in vinification, in human resources and in sales… It is the meticulous work of one and all in combination that gives birth to wines that with the passage of time achieve their magnificence.
Our winery groups nearly 300 winegrowers to produce the great white wines of Chablis. These wines reflect the utmost care our winegrowers devote to the cultivation of their vineyards and the commitment our winemakers bring to revealing the heart and soul of the wines. It is this subtle harmony between the grower in the vineyards, the technical advisor and the winemaker which bestows on our wines their much sought-after distinction.